Friday, January 18, 2008

Wild Ideas


I glance over to the bedroom and see Ferris shift lazily before going back to sleep. I wish I could say I wore her out, but I think she did a lot of that to herself. She was a girl I could learn to like. But this was probably just a wild idea and it would only take a few minutes to check the place out anyways. I put on some fresh clothes and headed out the door. I needed a walk to clear my head anyways. It was like my head couldn’t decide to feel normal or feel like everything was all wrong right now. Two of my friends were gone, I was sleeping with a superior officer, and all of this was about to come to a crashing halt when Malvolio’s goons came looking for me. The streets were bustling with people and I found myself amazed at how crowded cities could be. There always seemed like there were so many less people in the world at night. As I rounded the corner and got closer to my old hangout, I tried to feel some kind of connection with the people around me. But it wasn’t there, not like with the kid or Dingo. They weren’t the same. Realizing that just made me feel worse though. I bounded up the stairs and shook the door knob on the old door to our place just the right way to make it open. It was just as big a shithole as ever. Garbage, clothes, and mold inhabited the place like it belonged there. As I moved into the back room the sound of the T.V. being on made me freeze. Dingo had always left the T.V. on when he left this place. He had been here recently. Cabinets and drawers started flying open, piles of clothes were kicked aside, until wedged in between two mattresses I finally found what I was looking for. Wrapped in newspaper and tied with string was a very thick and Book like object. I couldn’t help it. I laughed a little bit. So much effort had gone into this thing. I sat on the bed and set it next to me. I couldn’t think of anything else to do so I just lit up a cigarette. I was jerked out of my reverie when my cell phone rang. Expecting Ferris, I was surprised when Mills’ voice shook out. “Where are you?” he asked. “Busy,” I replied. “They finally found the kid. He’s dead. In a dumpster in that alley you were spotted walking out of when my troops caught you. I have some questions for you,” Mills says darkly.

No comments: