Friday, January 18, 2008

Little Detail


She just stares for a moment before her hand goes back to her lap. We don’t say anything. Hell, I don’t even know if Mills was bothering to listen. But he sure as hell traced it and followed me here. I know because I can already hear cars pulling up, boots hitting the street. The scene is over. “There’s one little thing. Oh, you figured it all out. Nailed it on the head. But there’s just one little detail about your kid. No one thought you needed to know it but…we found you both on the same night. Interrupted something, you could say. He was barely alive when we took him back. It was a miracle he became a Vampire Falcon, but surviving you was just as impressive,” she says. And suddenly it’s all just too much. Being alive is just too damn much. I hear Mills shouting and voices coming closer to the door. I think about the kid asking me if we’d ever find who bit him. Who dragged him into this whole crappy world. When they kick the door open there’s a gust of air and it almost feels like it’s going to knock me over. The Paladins rush in but I just stare at the floor. I think about yelling at the kid for not sucking blood. For not murdering people to become stronger. Guns are all on Ferris. It looks like Mills was listening after all. They drag her out and she’s quiet the whole way. There isn’t much left to say between us anyhow. I think about the kid wanting to be strong like me. The room settles and without thinking I walk over to her suitcase. I find the Book inside. “Shade…is that it?” Mills asks behind me. I stare at it, what the kid died for. What I’ve been chasing after this whole time, what all these damn assholes have been killing and smashing to get their hands on. I think about the kid crying about not wanting to be a Vampire Falcon. And suddenly all I can truly believe is that I’m no better than the rest of them. “Shade, what is that?” Mills asks again. I shake my head, handing the Book over to him. “The stuff that faith is made of Mills. The stuff that faith is made of,” I say.

No comments: