Friday, January 18, 2008

Demands


My first reaction is to tell her that I sure as hell don’t have any clue either but then I think better of it. I start remembering the whole reason I even agreed to this tour in the first place. “Well, I definitely can recognize most of the traits, maybe tell him how to develop some of the skills,” I offer. They both nod and we all look like we’re ready to go. “But if you’re going to keep referring to this gig as a job, I have some payment requests I’d like to be considered,” I add. “First, I’m going to need protection. The Guild of Nod already thought of me as a heretic but now the Enlightened are, at the very least, going to want to study me. I want a holy gun. Nothing fancy, just a pistol. Most vampires won’t be expecting it so that’d be enough. It looked like you were mass-blessing them anyways. Second, I need to get out of here. I need my own place. Third, I’ll get your Vampire Falcon up to speed but I’m not exactly fully qualified anymore. And a lot of my advice is going to involve the Falcon killing people. Once the job is done I pla-,” but Ferris cuts me off before I can finish. Honestly, I don’t even really know what I was going to say. I just felt this sudden urge to ask for stuff. “We will see for the first two. But you will learn, just as I did, the being mortal again has a lot of unexpected needs with it. You will not be able to move about as you once did. You will need to eat, stay warm, talk with people, and keep out of trouble. All of these things mean staying put. And as for the Falcon…, I’m afraid you’re somewhat mistaken about what we require from you. He is your new partner. Perhaps you’d like to meet him now?,” Ferris asks.

No comments: