Friday, January 18, 2008

Making Plans


The first thing I decided was to keep the Paladins out of it. If you were to list out the primary suspects for people who could kill the kid and would do so to get the book, I came in with at least the silver medal. I had dumped a lot of bodies before and this shouldn’t have been any different. But when I slammed the dumpster lid down on Jacob’s final resting place, I wondered for a second how he would’ve felt being buried with the trash. But he was dead and would get over it fast. I’d make it up to him anyhow. Just as I was starting to think I’d taken care of my first problem a new one presented itself while I headed back to the car. Standing in front of the warehouse was a group of Paladins with assault rifles. They looked like fans of the team that just lost Nationals and were ready to pick a fight. Before I could decide whether or not it was a good idea to talk with them, it’s guns raised and hands in the air time. “Here’s the fucking traitor right now!” one of them screams. They slam me on the ground and fasten hand cuffs too tightly around my wrists. Damn, and I’d had such a good alibi ready too. One of them gets on the radio and announces that they have captured a suspect. I can keep my cool through just about anything. Back in the day, I could bound through rooftops and go through trouble like it was on sale. But the urge to hit someone was just too much suddenly. I just couldn’t keep my cool. I start screaming and tearing away, shaking them off and telling them to keep their damn human hands to themselves. Maybe I deserved the taser that knocked me out a second later.

No comments: