Friday, January 18, 2008

Iago & Book


I’m carried down familiar halls until I finally kick free and simply walked behind Sunshine. We didn’t say much. There had never been a leader amongst the three of us, but Sunshine was always the one who kept his calm. Dingo had been a wild one, addicted to the blood and drunk on the red haze more than either of us. I never slurped as much because of the blackouts. When we rounded the third flight of stairs going down, I realized with a sinking feeling we were going to Iago’s office. The chances of me being killed on sheer principles had just risen dramatically. Then again, maybe the chances were the same as always. Maybe they were the same no matter where I was. Sunshine knocked on the door and we waited while there was shuffling. He turned and looked at me, “Damn man…they really did it. You’re really it again.” I shrugged and nodded. A voice boomed for us to come in. Inside was a luxurious desk and rows of books on shelves behind the wall. A few lamps kept the place more dark than lit and sitting in the center of all this was the man himself. Iago was wearing all black and glaring at me with a raised eyebrow as I stepped inside and seated myself. He normally expected people to wait until they were asked. “Long time, no see, Shade,” he said. “I guess you could say it was time for a make-over. Thought I’d experiment with the other side again,” I reply. Already my mind had begun to turn over the possibilities. One of them had killed the kid. One of them had stolen the Book and murdered him for it. My expectations and hopes for finding an end to this came to a rattling halt soon enough though. Iago reached into a desk drawer and pulled out a printed folder that was about as thick as the book in pages. I couldn’t help myself. I laughed.

No comments: