Friday, January 18, 2008

Training


I finally got my own place and started spending most of my nights with a bottle of bourbon and a Netflix subscription. They tried to give us some training in field work and some of it was alright. They weren’t quit with it though with their planning. The ex-cops and the marines had all these attack plans for invading castles and tombs. I didn’t have the heart to tell them that no one stayed in those things anymore but I held my tongue. But during the basic Vampire Culture course, I finally couldn’t take it. I ended up teaching the course by interrupting the instructor constantly, until he finally just sat down and told me to teach the thing myself. It was in front of a bunch of other ex-cops and you could see them fuming at me. That was when I started to realize just how much most of these guys can and did hate my guts for what I’d used to be. “Let me guess, you want your steak raw, right buddy? Nice and bloody!” they’d ask before walking away laughing. The kid never understood what they were making fun of when they teased him, but I tried to shield him from it anyways. The instructor I’d embarrassed turned out to be the main cop in charge of his ‘Civilian Detachment’ as they called us, a real fucking pill named Mills who had it out for me from day one. You would’ve thought I was the vampire who’d murdered all the friends and family that drove them here. And honestly, a couple of them could’ve been. But they were assholes who didn’t know the first thing about hunting vampires except that they’re guns could burn a hole in them when most couldn’t. They needed my experience and I needed…I needed a reason to not put that noose around my neck again, I guess. “You know what I think, Shade? I think you just got tired of all the bat shit,” Mills barked at me once.

No comments: