Friday, January 18, 2008

Finished Puzzle


I tell the Concierge to provide my friend with the huge physique, black jacket, and impolite attitude to please give the package wrapped in newspaper to him. “Ah yes, the current one in the safe?” the Concierge asks. “Yes, the current one. As opposed to the one sitting in some other goddamn hotel,” I reply and hang up. Sometimes I wondered what the hell people were thinking before they bothered to speak. A Templar leaves the room to go get the Book and we’re all suddenly tapping our knees waiting. I’d tried the cleverest openings I could think of and couldn’t even get him thinking about the same topic. “Seen much of Dingo? I just…back in the warehouse when you tricked me,” I start off. Keep dumb, keep flattering them. “When you sent Dingo to do that errand. When you sent him out the front door to ke-“ I say as meekly as possible. Malvolio cuts me off, “I have not seen your idiotic heathen since I sent him off either. He was supposed to repay the informant for the misinformation you obligingly cleared up for us. We had originally been told that copies of the book would work. When we discovered they would not, it seemed pertinent to keep the original. Dingo went out the back door to handle this and never returned. I had figured it all came down to our unfortunate retreat. Now you appear with information about the Book and your Enlightenment companion. So, you see, I am as interested in that little meeting with the informant and your friend as you seem to be,” says Malvolio. Everyone seems comfortable with the silence while we all wait for the Templar to come back except me. I’m still standing. The last few puzzle pieces fall into place so elegantly. An informant from the Paladins. Dingo went out a back door, not the front. They had been given the Book at first but lied to about the copies. The kid had seen someone go down that alley that he thought he should follow. He’d asked for my help. So Dingo had taken it after some kind of scuffle? I barely noticed that fifteen minutes had gone by since Ferris made the call. “Did you kill the kid in the alley?” I blurt out. There has to be some other explanation. “As with everything else you’ve said, I do not know what you are talking about,” Malvolio says dryly. The Templar knocked on the door and came back inside. “Sorry, some kind of fuss about the package. Did not think it appropriate to kill,” the Templar explained dryly. He hands the package to Malvolio who just looked at it. Before anyone could make a move Sunshine snatches it out off his hands. The gun was raised again. He tore the newspaper wrapping off with his teeth, but only got half-way through. He dropped the rest to the floor. Amidst the torn newspaper and disheveled pages, was a phonebook.

No comments: