Friday, January 18, 2008

Blood Bags


“What, you mean murdering people is the same thing no matter what I call it?” Jacob asks. For a second I’m startled to hear him call it that. I don’t know why. “Some would call it murder, others would call it survival. Considering what they’re asking you to do, I can understand why you might think of it as needless. Do you…understand how big of a deal you are? You’re not possible, as far as I know. Scientifically, the vampire virus mutates so rapidly that most people who’ve studied it said the thing was uncurable. But to actually mutate, in response to an immune system, to a degree that you cut back on half the side-effects? Kid…that’s a miracle,” I explain. He seems to shrug at that, like such things are to be expected. Maybe to him they are. I’m not the one sporting a Jesus bracelet. “It’s also tough to say what exactly is going to happen once you start drinking blood. That’s how the virus grows. I think I’m still a bit stronger than the average guy but you’ll be the opposite. You’ll be punching through walls after a few years. Jumping over cars. And you don’t have to worry about sunlight at all. Jesus kid, aren’t you even the least bit excited or curious? You’re special, you’re being recruited by the Paladins of Light!” I say. He rolls his eyes and replies, “That name is really dumb. What am I supposed to do for them, anyways?” he asks. I don’t have an answer to that one but I tell him we’re probably going to be hunting vampires. “They definitely do kill people, right? And they’re all evil? Do I have to drink blood out of a person or could I just…I dunno, suck it out of a donor bag?” he seems to be perking up a bit now. People always do when you tell them about the perks that come with vampirism. “A donor bag? I guess I’ve heard of people doing it…but it’s like drinking a warm flat beer. It’s terrible, but if you don’t mind doing it then sure,” I answer.

No comments: