Friday, January 18, 2008

Mission Planning


Ferris serves us a nice round of explanations on the car ride over. The kid still seems pissed about my yelling and stares out the window the whole time. “There have been a group of vampires that have been near the Paladin’s homebase for the past few weeks. But we always lost them when we tried to follow them back to their nest. So tonight, of all nights, they start acting crazy and don’t bother to lose the people following them. And now Mills and his Paladin troopers want to storm the damn building they’re in,” Ferris is gripping the steering wheel and half snarling during this whole rant. I try to think of something to say when the kid fills the gap for me, “So? Why not? We’re here to kill vampires aren’t we?” I pull out a cigarette and take my turn at staring out the window. The kid still has a thing or two to learn about when to disagree with a woman. I’m glad he’s talking again though. “Because, Jacob, in case you hadn’t noticed we’ve been sitting on our asses for the past three months. We need leads. We need to know what these guys are up to,” Ferris explains. I raise an eyebrow at that one. I’d dropped a hint or two during training that I could lead them to a few hideouts I still remembered but Ferris had never seemed too interested. “Just how close were these guys when you noticed them?” I fish. She sighs and I think I’ve finally caught the gravity she’s been dancing around. Old Ferris might have a security problem on her hands and she wants to know how bad. “Close enough that they probably realized what we are. I need to know who they’ve told. What they saw. I need to know if I’ve got a goddamn war on my hands,” she admits.

No comments: