Friday, January 18, 2008

The Vampire Falcon


The Doc keeps jabbering about the irrefutable proof that this book can do everything from kill vampires to part the Red Sea. It’s the source of Ferris’ cure as well, for the same unexplained reasons. “The only thing anyone can say for certain is that it might have something to do with quantum mechanics,” he finally finishes. He’s gesturing at some photo-copies of archaic diagrams and pointing at some energy x-rays. I haven’t really been listening. The Nod worshippers would’ve been all over this but…I’d always been raised that this religious crap was a bunch of nonsense. That vampires weren’t good or bad, we were just wolves living around sheep. Now some book powered by…God? The Light? Christ, what did this make me back then and in whose eyes? What did it make me now? I’m staring at the floor asking questions people should learn to not ask when Ferris gives me a light shove. “The Doctor is talking to you,” she says stiffly. “I said, Mr. Shade, have you ever heard of a Vampire Falcon?” I’m about to say I’ve also heard of the Big Bad Wolf then I catch myself. Fantasy seemed to be coming true today. “It’s a biological conundrum. Since the vampire virus mutates so rapidly, it’s the hypothetical dilemma that if you could weaken it enough or the person’s immune system was sophisticated enough, they could develop some kind of…balance with it? Resilience? Look, all of this was impossible to me up until I woke up human again,” I explain. Ferris sits down and decides to take over. “Very good, Mr. Shade. A Vampire Falcon is a half-human, half-vampire hybrid. And it is part of the reason we have brought you in and decided to hire you on the force. We have one. And we have no idea what is biologically going on with his body,” she says.

No comments: