Friday, January 18, 2008

Concierge


Ferris drives use to the Montreat, pulling over for cigarettes and a newspaper. I tell her I need to do this alone and she doesn’t argue. There were enough questions without a beautiful blonde forming one. “What will you do when Malvolio asks for the plans to the Paladin’s base?” she asked. I shrugged. “What will you tell Mills?” I ask. Then I think for a minute. “Any kind of time limits I put on him are going to be trouble. He’s hot headed and he might go barging in before everything is…settled. I want you to call him fifteen minutes after I’m in the room. Hopefully my head won’t get torn off before Mills shows up,” I explain. Ferris nods and passes me a cigarette. We arrive at the hotel and I’m surprised when she parks in the temporary spot. “You can’t come in there with me. I thought we settled this,” I say harshly. She shakes her head and points at the Book. “If you’re dead, someone has to get that Book back. That’s what this is all about, remember? Luring all those vampires and getting them killed?” she asks harshly. The plan is full of holes but I catch myself wondering if plugging this one is going to do me any good. I need the Book there to make sure I have something to barter with if all else fails. The only thing holding him back now is not knowing when there are people to kill inside Room 127 and when there aren’t. Maybe he’s already watching the building. Ferris is still angry with me and waiting for me to give up. I oblige. We head inside and the concierge greets us with style. “Will you be staying long sir?” he asks. I give him my toothiest grin and ask him where someone can drink & smoke without too much fuss. He points to the lounge. “Good. My associate and I would like this to be stored in the hotel vault as well,” I say. He nods and takes the newspaper wrapped book from me. “Yes sir and under whose name will this all be under?” he asks. “Shade. Sam Shade.” I reply. Ferris reaches up and gives me a huge kiss. Then she walks out the door and I’m standing in the hotel lobby. I didn’t even remember to bum a cigarette from her.

No comments: