Friday, January 18, 2008

Wait Here


We’re in the city now and Ferris is slowing down, checking street signs and getting her bearings on where we are. The radio crackles and it’s Mills, “I can give you an hour to scope this out. My men will try to take one alive but you know how that goes Ferris,” he garbles across the static. She rolls her eyes and parks the car on a street corner. “You see that warehouse? That’s it. That’s where the vampires ran to. Take these binoculars and tell me what you see,” Ferris instructs. I take a glance and say aloud what I see. A warehouse that looks like it has seen better days. If it’s a nest then a guard should be poking his head out every thirty minutes or so. If we wait, I can probably tell you who the guard is with. Ferris pulls out her gun and checks the casing, turning off the safety while she makes sure there is one in the chamber. “Mills and his crew are down two blocks away in a bread truck. I’m going to walk over there and report all this. If I’m in the van with them I can keep them all in check a lot better than sitting here. When you see someone and ID who we’re dealing with, radio it. Gather as much info as you can from here. If they go in and start blazing, try to run down anyone you see fleeing. It’s time for you two to prove you’re not a fucking liability, got it?” she says before opening the door. She drops to a crouch outside the car, gun ready for anything, and then stashes the iron. She moves in the slow walk of a nervous female in a bad part of town, heading down the block towards the bread truck. I reach over, close the door, and slouch down with the binoculars. The kid still doesn’t seem to want to talk to me and it just became a lot more noticeable.

No comments: