Friday, January 18, 2008

Unexpected Release


Another piece of the puzzle falls into place and suddenly I need fifty more to finish the picture. Was that the errand Dingo had been sent on? To give the copy to the Enlightenment? No, why would the Guild of Nod share the book? Did that mean they were tricking them with the copy? False security? No, that didn’t work. They hadn’t known copies weren’t as good as the original until Dingo had tricked it out of me. Who had the book now? Whose side were they on? And underneath all of that, at the very core of this whole mess: who had killed the kid? “Now that I’ve shared, Shade, would you be so kind as to explain what the Nod Worshippers want with the Book?” Iago asked. It’s tit for tat and Iago has decided to see how long we can play against each other. Or until it’s time to kill me. I decide the obvious is my best bet. “They plan on killing all of the Paladins. And then they’re going to hold off on burning the book until they eradicate all the heretics like you,” I reply. So maybe I fudged a bit for dramatic effect, but it was probably what they were going to do. The point was staying alive. “And if the Paladins get the book back?” Iago asks. Again, I decide on having fun with the truth. “Same thing. Change the names around. You still end up hunted,” I reply. Iago nods and Sunshine sucks in his breath. “And where is the book now?” Sunshine interrupts. “I was kinda hoping you could answer that,” I explain. Iago stands up and paces over to a few books against the wall. Art, science, philosophy, they’re all stacked up in neat rows in front of him. “I’m afraid that I simply don’t believe you, Shade. I think you are probably convinced of the truth of your own words. Perhaps even the Paladins believe that this Book is truly responsible for it all. But I’m a bit disappointed you would be so susceptible to such nonsense after our training. You never once looked for a better explanation than…faith? Magic? Never once tried to go deeper than face value? Indeed, this Book claims a variety of improbable things. The ability to cure werewolves. Make a Vampire Falcon,” Iago asked. It was the same damn thing, just like always. Question everything except us. They were as bad as any religion and just as ready to burn someone who didn’t agree. I just glare at him. “Still, whatever is causing all of this, I now have all I need to fully discover what is going. With the gun and a tissue sample, our labs should be able to answer any questions. You may go Shade. Alive even,” Iago finishes.

No comments: