Friday, January 18, 2008

Interrupted Kiss


I’m a bit taken aback at that one but maybe there’s something to it. The kid has been gone a full day and I’m finding myself wishing I had something to do besides find where the dumb Book is. It was nice having someone ask me about myself, I guess. “I guess we both kinda have that in common,” I say. Ferris raises an eyebrow at that one and reaches to pour herself another drink without answering. It isn’t exactly a solution to finding the Book but I can think of some ways Ferris might help me think. She purses her lips and finally says, “Maybe so. But…it is not so bad knowing that I’m still helping Fenrir’s will. Every pig vampire that dies is one less for my kind to deal with,” she replies again. The werewolf religion was a weird one, I couldn’t follow it any better than I could the Nod Worshippers. But I guess anyone gets offended at being controlled with fear. “Is that really enough? Just feeling good at the end of the day because of your God? I just don’t see what it’s for. I was happy just to have a reason to get up. Just to have somebody give a shit if I was there or not was nice. Don’t you need…other things?” I shoot back. She sighs and picks up her purse to leave. “The other things are hard,” she comments stiffly. When you’re this far along with innuendo, there’s no point in not giving it all a try. I put my hand over hers and give it a squeeze. We both move forward in a rush and our lips meet, she’s soft but her grip is tense. The other things are hard when you don’t have someone else who understands. I’ve just gotten a grip on her waist that’s comfortable for me when my eyes half open and I spot a flicker of movement in the window. I almost don’t break the kiss, it has been so long. But when I see the person outside my window flash back faster than a human could ever move, it has to be done. Someone who isn’t mortal is watching me.

No comments: