Friday, January 18, 2008

Homecoming


I’d only been rogue for about a year with my crew so it wasn’t much of a shock when I opened the double doors to the seemingly abandoned, discreet headquarters and recognized the security guard. What was a surprise was the team of vampires with assault rifles standing behind him. Well, they were the people who had trained me, after all. “Hands and face on the ground, NOW!” one shouted. I obliged and the first thing they relieve me of is the gun. Learning quick, I see. There’s shouting and some things I can’t make out before my hands are cuffed. “Filthy bastard was coming in here to kill us!” “He’s really human, look! Unbelievable!” Things quieted down as loud footsteps drew closer from down the hall. I pulled my head up and before me was a one armed, slightly puzzled Sunshine. “I’d wondered what had happened to you…but making you human and sending you back here? Shade, what is going on?” Sunshine asked. My mind weighed out what to do since the man I had come to see was in front of me. Protecting my neck came up as the most important. “I’m a vector for the cure! Don’t bite me!” I screamed. Sure enough, grips slackened and even Sunshine stepped back a little bit. Stay away from the mystical mumbo jumbo, I told myself. Keep it scientific. Tell them everything is cells and DNA, not some magical Book that no one understands. You had to talk to people in the language that worked for them. Sunshine finally stepped forward and checked my pulse, making sure I truly was alive. “Odd, that’s not what the Book says happens when someone is cured,” said Sunshine. I froze and realized he was also checking my reaction to that comment. My heart was racing. “You…you have the Book?” I ask. Two guards roughly lift me up by my arms and Sunshine beckons for them to carry me. “Yes, lets go look it over and see what it has to say about all this, shall we?” Sunshine murmurs.

No comments: