Friday, January 18, 2008

Forgotten


I have just enough time to admire the hallway carpet before we’re inside the room and everyone is getting acquainted. Malvolio’s lip curls when he sees Sunshine and he motions for guards to cover all the nearby windows. I might not survive a swan dive out the window but a vampire could. “The teachings of Nod do not begrudge the use of mortals as tools, even this lowly heathen. But you are…unclean,” says Malvolio. Sunshine keeps the gun trained on me but faces Malvolio. “Thanks, you smell like you could use some deodorant yourself,” Sunshine says back. I’m the only one smiling at the joke, oddly enough. Hell, there was a reason we had been friends back in the day. “What do you want?” Malvolio asks. “The same thing as you, pal. I want the Book,” Sunshine says. I can’t help but wonder why the only person who has a decent chance of perishing is suddenly the least amount of concern. “I am surprised someone of your lowly beliefs would deign to consider a mere book a threat. What will your lab dogs think?” Malvolio says. “Maybe I just want to prove it’s as big a load of shit as all the stuff you feed the poor kids you transform,” Sunshine says. Well, it didn’t take long for the guy with nothing to lose to call everyone liars. I’d be alarmed by the argument if it weren’t the exact same one the Enlightenment and the Guild of Nod have been having since Night one. I’m forced to remember that Sunshine’s only concern with coming up here is keeping the Nod Worshippers from finding out that the book is in the hotel safe. If he keeps talking so diplomatically, they might never find out. “By the way, I’m the only person here who knows where the Book is,” I remind everyone. Malvolio and Sunshine both turn to glare at me. Unbelievable. You become mortal and suddenly the religious nuts and the science freaks can’t be bothered to remember you exist. “And? I seem to recall the purpose of this meeting being information about the Paladins. Not the Book. Since you seem so ready to confess both, I will take that as well,” Malvolio replies. I’ve only got one chance at this. A cursory glance around the room shows Malvolio never even bothered to collect the money he was supposed to pay me. But there’s something I need to know first. A glance at the clock shows me I have five minutes until Ferris calls the Paladins and the light show starts.

No comments: