Friday, January 18, 2008

Ferris Helps Out


I step outside the office and sitting in a chair outside is Ferris looking tall, blonde, and anxious. She seems relieved when she sees me and walks up with an offered cigarette. Maybe I should tip off vampire raids more often. “What did they say? What’s going to happen?” she asks. I don’t see the harm in speeding up the discovery process, so I fill her in on the deal with Mills. She asks me what my first move is going to be and after taking a drag on my smoke, I decide it’s go home and drink until inspiration hits. “Let me give you a ride then. I never should’ve left you in that car. What happened to your cheek? Did Mills do that?” she asks. Its been a long time since anybody mothered over me. I’m not idiotic enough to think that Ferris has suddenly taken a liking to former vampires, but I could use the ride and I figure Mills is just using her to keep an eye on me. It’s a pretty set of eyes. I tell her all about my lack of a plan as we head to her car. It’s the same one from before. “I should’ve told you what was going on last night, but I didn’t know how you would react to the news about the book. It’s incredible, no evidence, no one even missing. They just walked in and the box was gone. That’s why Mills was so trigger happy and I wanted someone to question, in case the book wasn’t in there. Now all we’ve got is you,” Ferris says as we drive down the highway. The wind is in her hair and I find myself looking at that more than listening to her. They’re in a real jam. Everyone is, it seems. I point at the liquor store and pick up a bottle of bourbon. It always gets the gears working when I need an idea. Ferris offers to come upstairs and help me think.

No comments: