Friday, January 18, 2008

Staking Out


At first I just keep quiet and hope my estimate wasn’t ridiculously off for the guards. An hour goes by. The Enlightened ran a tight ship and would’ve kept a guard checking. But then again, they also wouldn’t be in a warehouse and they probably wouldn’t have been caught in the first place. The Nod worshippers were a bit more casual but even they would’ve posted guards during the night. This whole thing reeked of amateur. I half wanted to radio Mills and tell him to just flatten the place, since the vampires in there seemed like the gang type. I should know, I used to be one. Time keeps going by and the kid’s silence is still pissing me off for some reason. I reach over and turn on the car’s radio to break the tone. Why should I apologize for telling him the fucking truth? He wants all the powers but he doesn’t want to pay the price. He doesn’t want to soil his damned moral beliefs or his Jesus standard. He’s never going to get past the human stage if he keeps believing in that crap, never going to quit being weak if he clings to those beliefs. “Look…kid, you gotta quit being so moral about thi-“ I say. He interrupts me in a flash with what has probably been on the burner for a while. “How can you be so casual about it? How can you act like murdering someone is okay? Even with the nursing home people, you make it sound okay just because they’re going to die soon. So are you. So am I eventually. Does that mean someone should be allowed to murder you? You keep saying it’ll make me stronger, that because I’m a Vampire Falcon I’m superior and I have a right. A right to fucking what?” he snarls. I just don’t have any answers for him not understanding. I want to tell him that after the virus makes you immortal you don’t have to give a shit about all that stuff. That when you don’t have to die if you can avoid the sun it all quits being relevant. I’m the one whose human again. I’m the one who will have to get old and die no matter what I do. I light a cigarette. “You know those things will kill you,” he mutters under his breath.

No comments: