Friday, January 18, 2008

The Best Lead


By the time I’m back upstairs and in my apartment the kinks have worked themselves out of my legs and I’m heading for the drawer where I keep the bullets. The blessed ones. Ferris is looking sheepish about our moment but I can see she has her own gun out as well. She puts it away when she sees that it’s just me. “Who was that? Was it the Guild of Nod?” she asks. I check the windows again and reach for my cigarettes only to find that I’ve run out. Ferris has put away the bourbon bottle and is handing me a smoke, still expecting an answer. “No…the Enlightenment has taken an interest in all of this. Whoever was watching us drove off in one of their Cadillacs. Up for a drive?” I tell her. She’s biting her lip and thinking it over. You can still smell the gun smoke from minutes before so I decide to leave the window open. There’s nothing in here anyways. Did they think I had the Book? What did they care if I did? I had trouble picture the head of the high and mighty Enlightenment suddenly acknowledging this whole affair as possible. A mystical Book that could imbue weapons with the power to kill an un-killable virus? Then again, Dingo had said Sunshine was missing an arm and there weren’t a whole lot of explanations for that besides magic in the vampire world. “But they might kill you on sight! You can’t go,” Ferris protested. “The best lead I’ve got in figuring out what happened is a vampire named Dingo,” I explain “And right now, he could be living next door for all I know. A mutual friend who’s un-attached to proof that the Book works apparently went back to the Enlightenment, so maybe I can get them to listen. Maybe see if Sunshine has heard anything about Dingo,” I explain. I’m touched by her sudden concern for my safety but I’m not exactly a licensed driver. I point to her keys. “Either you’re going to help me, kiss me, or get out of my way. I’ve only got time for one,” I reply. She pauses for just another moment before picking up the keys and heading for the door.

No comments: