Friday, January 18, 2008

Get the Book


Sunshine isn’t happy with the way our dialogue is improving and decides to point the gun at Malvolio instead. Before anyone can speak I find myself mediating. “I think what we all need to do right now is calm down. Sunshine, we’re all very excited about your ability to use a Holy gun. But frankly, I’m over it. Don’t want things getting messy, after all. Not like last time, right Malvolio?” I say helpfully. Everyone stares at me like I just spoke in Chinese. Sunshine takes a few steps back and plants himself against the wall, gun still raised. Malvolio shrugs and seats himself on a couch. The Templar still stand at attention. Malvolio isn’t taking my hint. “Where’s that pet werewolf of yours? Figured you’d want him along to make sure I’m telling the truth. Like you did in the warehouse,” I say. He glares at me and only seems to be reflecting on how he is going to handle this situation. “He has gone missing. It is very unlike him, considering the consequences to his precious Den Mother and the werewolf bloodline should anything happen to her. I am sure he will turn up eventually. Besides, trust does not seem to be the primary issue at the moment,” said Malvolio while gesturing at an increasingly agitated Sunshine. The gun moved back to me. Damnit, Sunshine was making himself vulnerable with all this nonsense. Making me vulnerable. “Enough of this crap! We’re all here. All I need is to see the damn thing, okay? Just to make sure that it’s just…it’s just a fucking book! Maybe…” Sunshine says to no one in particular. Even I raise an eyebrow at that. “Maybe read a few passages and see if lightning shoots out your ass?” I ask. Malvolio impresses me with a snort. Sunshine glares at me. “Hey, you’re the one missing an arm that should’ve grown back after a few days,” I say. “The book is downstairs in the fucking safe. If Shade calls down there, we should be able to get it back up here without any trouble,” Sunshine says, ignoring me. Malvolio raises an eyebrow at this. “But how will we decide who gets to keep it? I am fully capable of believing books and words have power. But are you? Do you intend to fight for them?” Malvolio asked. Sunshine lowers his gun. He walks across the hotel room and hands me the phone. As I punch the lobby number, Ferris is supposedly doing the same to Mills.

No comments: